Friday, July 18, 2008

Way to go Penn St. and Notre Dame

A little background....

An ESPN columnist did a Top 10 College Logos for a BCS conference. He evaluated logos based on the following criteria:

Cleanliness / Drawability - This category is based on two important purposes of a collegiate logo. A logo should be clean enough to make an attractive car decal or adorn an alum’s golf bag. Additionally, with many Fridays of my youth spent attempting to draw logos to represent the next day’s upcoming NCAA football matchups on the wide-ruled notebook paper in my Trapper Keeper binder, I learned the value of a logo’s simplicity which I’ve termed “Drawability”.

Creativity - This category is basically created to award logos which are more than a combination of the school’s acronym. I recognize that there’s value in a letter-based logo, but for the purpose of my ranking, I wanted to reward artistic creativity.

Recognition Value - Probably the most important aspect of a logo is it’s ability to be recognized as representing that specific University. While my perspective on this category will differ from someone in another part of the country, I tried to assess the logo’s value nationally as best I could.

A 2-point bonus was awarded for logos used on a school’s helmet.

Well done PSU. I'm sure Mickel and Eschbacher would agree with the Top 10 acknowledgment but may argue #9




9. - Big Ten Conference
I can’t tell you how hard it was to drop this logo to number 9. My fear of disappointing Joe Pa nearly influenced my assessment here but I felt I had to be true to the system. So, while I’ve always loved their white helmets with the single navy stripe, my ranking places a premium on the free logo advertising that a helmet can provide causing Penn State to settle in at #9.



Notre Dame jumped into the #2 slot of Non BCS Conferences. Congrats to the Irish for the high ranking...



Their main logo may be an interlocked “ND”, but equally recognizable is this angry leprechaun. The combination of the two logo options for the Fighting Irish creates a powerful branding punch, but based on the leprechaun itself, it falls to #2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty ridiculous to lose points for not putting the logo on the helmet. We'd be doing that logo a disservice if we cheapened it by throwing it around everywhere. Also, it would go against what PSU stands for: tradition, pride, and humility.